Who wouldn't want this simmering away in their house?
I have to tell you about the fact that I roasted my own chicken breasts for this. I totally felt like Ina or Giada.
You need spices. Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Fennel seed, Black Pepper, & Garlic. Roughly a teaspoon of each.
Line a baking dish with foil for easy clean-up, drizzle your chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning mix. I love free-range, vegetarian fed, organic chicken breast. Yes it costs more, but making the right choices isn't always easy. (I think I only put a few toes on my soap box there...I don't want to preach.)
Ooh and Ahh over the pretty chicken. I told you, I was feeling pretty impressed with myself. Oh and bake the chicken breasts at 350 for 30-35 minutes (depending on size) or until they have an internal temp of 170 degrees. Let it cool and then shred or cut into bite size pieces. Set aside.
In your soup pot saute half a medium onion (chopped) and 1 fennel bulb (chopped) in olive oil.
Sprinkle with Salt & Pepper.
Cook until the onion is translucent. Then chop one bunch of Kale. (Be sure to was it thoroughly.) Add the Kale and cook for 5 minutes with the lid on. Then add 32 oz of Chicken Stock and stir well. Add 3 cups of Egg Noodles and another 32 oz of Chicken Stock and cook, covered, until noodles are tender, 10-12 minutes.
Add the chicken and turn heat to low, cook covered until chicken is warm. Re-season with Salt & Pepper if necessary.
I swear this soup will make your house feel warm and cozy, ease your mind and soothe your soul. It's just that good.
4 Boneless, skinless, Organic, chicken breast
1 tsp. Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Garlic, Fennel seed, Black Pepper, Salt
Olive Oil to drizzle over chicken breast for baking
2 T. Olive Oil (for the saute-ing)
1/2 Medium Onion chopped
1 Fennel Bulb, chopped (throw away the green stuff)
1 Bunch of Kale chopped
3 cups of Egg Noodles
64 oz Chicken Stock
I served it with a side of Alexia Garlic Bread, it's just our favorite and easy.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and place the thawed chicken breasts in it. Drizzle each with olive oil. Mix the spices together and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Then Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through (recommended internal temp of 165-170 F ). When done, let cool before shredding or cutting into bite size pieces.
2. In the soup pot add olive oil and chopped onion & fennel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are translucent.
3. Wash and chop your Kale. Add to the Onion&Fennel mixture to saute down. Cover pot with lid. This should take 5 minutes or so.
4. Then add your chicken stock, stirring to remove the sauteed flavor bits from the bottom of the pot. Keep the heat about a medium to med. high. You just want it simmering. Add the noodles and cook until tender. Keep the soup covered.
5. Once the noodles are done, add the chicken and cook about 10 minutes or until chicken is heated through. Taste to see if it needs any more salt.
Ladle into bowls and add garlic bread.