You guys are AWESOME!! I can't believe how many people responded to the blog party. I was so nervous putting it out there and wondering if anyone would even link up haha.
Let's keep it going, so be on the look out again on Friday!
I have to confess I spent most of Sunday in my pjs, drinking too much tea, and catching up on Downton Abbey Season 1 (Thank you Netflix).
It's so good! I can see why it was up for an Oscar. If you haven't watched it yet, you really should. You'll get sucked in immediately. I despise Thomas and O'Brien!
And oh yea, I made Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts and turned it into Strawberry Shortcake!
Ah-mazing. You definitely need these too.
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donut Recipe
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp shortening/vegetable lard
2 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz sour cream
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)
1/4 -1/2 cup Whole Milk
2 cups Confectioners Sugar
1. Mix cake flour, baking powder and salt together. I don't like nutmeg so much, but if you do add it now! Set aside.
2. In your mixer, blend the Shortening (I used plain Crisco) and sugar together on low speed until "sandy".
3. Now blend in the egg yolks on low speed about 1 minute.
3. Alternate mixing in your dry ingredients (the flour combo) and the sour cream. Be sure to scrape down the sides every now and then too.
5. Cover the batter and let sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
6. Preheat your oven to 350. Spoon your batter into a ziplock bag to use the corner as a piping bag. It's a lot easier this way I promise! Pipe dough into a greased donut pan.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
8. While baking, prepare the icing for the donuts. In a saucepan over low heat warm the milk and then whisk in the confectioners sugar until smooth. That's it!
9. Dip the slightly cool donuts in the icing or spoon icing over the top, whatever works for you.
Ta - da!
Now to go completely wild, cut the donut in half (like an english muffin). Slice up some strawberries and add some whip cream.
These donuts are super light and airy. The strawberries and whip cream just go perfectly, it's borderline life changing.