Greek Burger with homemade Tzatziki sauce

As far as my career goes, I’ve had a windy road.  I started off an English major in college and had my happy place in poetry and creative writing classes.  After sophomore year, a rough year of my life, my path changed, mostly because that critical voice grew stronger in my head.  Why is it that when we’re struggling with something that voice just seems to drown out the others?

I felt as though writing wouldn’t take me anywhere, I needed something more logical, stable, responsible, all of those joy-stealing words.  So I switched into cognitive science thinking I would be a neurologist.  (I am not a neurologist.)

Ever since, I’ve longed for that thing that lit up my insides.  I tried being a baker, a massage therapist (which actually was really fun), and then we moved to Guam where my chances of having a career fell flat.  I took little side jobs, but grew more anxious than ever.

Working for the wildlife refuges slowly brought me back to myself.  I rekindled my creativity designing a brochure for the Adopt A Whooping Crane program, and fueled my passion for nature and the environment.  Lately I’ve just been feeling this persistent nudge, but every time I stopped to listen all I heard was the critical voice.  Well something changed because I finally told that part to stop, and listened to my heart. It brought me to tears, but I’m finally giving myself the chance to become the person I was going to be before sophomore year of college.

So this Memorial day, not only are we honoring my husband Lieutenant, Navy Pilot, amazing man; as well as my father Army Colonel (Ret.), and all the others who have served (including the families who hold it all together), but we’re also celebrating a new way of life.  Of following hearts, dreams, and putting down old burdens.

Oh yea…and I made a really delicious burger. : )

Greek Burger with homemade Tzatziki sauce

If you love a gyro, you will love this burger!  All the greek flavors in this grass fed beef patty…add the usual toppings and you will be surprised at how fresh and flavorful this burger is.

Ingredients:

1 lb Grass Fed Ground Beef
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Fresh Dill, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Fresh Oregano, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
dash of Cayenne (optional)

Tzatziki sauce:

Spinach
Tomato
Cucumber
Red Onion
Sesame Seed Buns

Directions:

(Be sure your meat is thawed!!)

1.  Gather all of your herbs and chop finely into tiny little pieces.  In a large bowl add the beef, herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Stir together until mixed evenly.

2.  To make the sauce add the sour cream and yogurt to a small bowl.  Then chop your herbs and add them to the bowl along with the salt, pepper and garlic as well.  Then add the lemon juice and stir well. Set aside in the fridge.

3.  Grill your burger!  We haven’t bought a new grill yet so I used a cast iron grill pan, buttered well and grilled 4-7 minutes on each side depending on how well done you like your burger.  Be sure to toast the bun!

4.  Build your burger with spinach, sliced onion, sliced cucumber, and tomato.

Enjoy!

Shared on Fabulous Friday @ My Crowded Kitchen, Crunchy Creamy SweetSerena Bakes Simply From Scratch

Comments

1. says

Omg I love this. It totally resonates. I ave had so many jobs/careers your head would spin. My friend said I am a professional job-tester. Lol.

2. says

Im totally PMSing but your story just brought me to tears… Lovely, and the and the burger looks delish! Definitely gonna try it, inspiring on multiple levels!

3. says

This burger looks so gorgeous my friend – yum!
    I think you have all the time in the world to decide your passion my friend – keep at it :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

4. says

This burger sounds so very yummy. I love all of the flavors. Normally I save this kind of meal for the Greek diners in the area but I think I will tackle this at home.

5. says

Your burger looks fabulous Abby, perfect for Memorial Day Weekend. And I loved reading your post. It resonates with so many of us. I took the practical path and ignored my heart for a long time. I made a living, and didn’t hate it – in fact liked much of it, but it didn’t make my heart sing. Now at long last, I’m following my heart, cooking, writing and delving into photography. I wish you much happiness and fruitfulness with following your heart!

6. says

Oh, this burger looks amazing! I love the beef we get here in NC from Wilkerson Farms. Supporting local ranchers not only makes you feel good but the flavor is incredible! Can’t wait to try thsi recipe! Love, love Tzatziki sauce!

7. says

This is how i eat my burgers too with Tzatziki sauce – love it. Yours look fabulous. The only thing is that i only use the Fage Greek Yogurt – all the others are too sweet and it makes the Tzatziki sauce sweet.

8. says

In my family, we like to call it the Career of the Year Club :) Good for you for following your heart. It will never steer you wrong. And this burger looks amazing – I am going to try this on Friday (minus the bun, of course!).

9. says

I read once that we can expect to have 14 different jobs in our lifetime. A long time ago, I read a book titled, “Do What you Love: the Money will Follow”. Good advice, I think. In the meantime, while you’re figuring out your passion, I enjoy your recipes! Thanks for sharing.

10. says

Wow – congrats on saying ‘no’ to those voices! I’m still working on that… I have all these crazy what-if’s in my mind about every choice I make, and I just need to tell my brain to shut up and listen to my heart!

Also – the burgers sound so, so good. I love tzatziki sauce, but never would have thought of it outside of classic Greek gyros. Brilliant idea! :)

11. says

Abby, I cannot begin to tell you how much I relate to your post as I am sure TONS of other women do. That critical voice is with me daily and I always have to remind myself to follow my gut as well. Thank you for a very real (and very tasty) post…and I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weeekend!

12. says

Hi Abby-
    Good for you for following your heart. I have also taken many roads to get where I am now (and still trying to go). Stick with it and keep me posted.
    And your burger looks amazing. ;)

13. says

Congrats on following your heart! I’ve definitely been down the windy career path myself, but truly feel that what I’m currently doing is the passion I’ve always dreamed of. This burger sounds downright delicious by the way =)

14. says

Good for you for following your heart. Wishing you nothing but the very best in the new path of your life.
    The burger looks amazing!

Thanks for being a part of May’s YBR :)